Wednesday, January 18, 2017

We hope to endure all things.




In these times of hating and finger pointing it is very hard not to jump on the angry train and join the rebellion. But, I don't want to do that. I don't want to add to the problem.

Pondering this dilemma, I came to realize that the only way to fight hate is to love. The only way to fight ignorance is to be informed and to teach. The only way to fight prejudice is to be open minded.

I have no control over others but I do control myself. I can be an example. So I am setting myself a challenge. This year, on my blog I want to follow the thirteenth Article of Faith. Articles of Faith #13
A white background with a large number 13 printed in yellow, paired with the words of Articles of Faith 1:13.

I'm going to attempt to write a blog post relating to each of the things listed in it this year.
I'm going to do my very best to ignore the negatives, accentuate the positives, and to promote more good in the world. I'm going to try to blog more often and try to make each blog something that will inspire and uplift.

I will start today with "Endure All Things."

There are always going to be people in this life who think differently than we do. Sometimes they say things that to us that seem stupid, hateful, hypocritical, or just plain mean. Generally it is a case of perception. Like two people viewing the letter 9, one from the bottom and one from the top. The one on the bottom says "nine" the one on the top says "six." both are right from their own perspective. The trouble is when they try to convince the other that they are wrong.

It's nearly impossible to change some one's perspective. I like to think that I'm open minded enough to step to the other side and see their point of view, but I'm not willing to adopt that point of view when it conflicts with my convictions.We all like to think that we are the one with our feet on the ground, that in fact, the other person is looking at things all wrong.We might even try to draw them a diagram, "see, it looks like this, it's a nine." but they are still on the other side seeing sixes.So how can we ever agree?

Sometime it comes down to agreeing to disagree. Sometimes we have to endure the fact that they will probably never see things from our side. All we can do is make sure that we are not the one reading backwards. We can offer a hand, a loving invitation to take a look from your side, we can step over the page and lead the way, but we can't force them to come. So, when they refuse, we lovingly ignore the opposite opinion and let it go. Yes, it's okay to ignore someone. They will probably get in your face, shout, whine, call you names, get their friends to torment you as well, and generally try to get under your skin and argue. Sometimes we have to treat adults as children when they act childish. The best way to deal with a recalcitrant child is to ignore the bad behavior. When they no longer get attention for those behaviors they become bored and desist.

So I'm going to do my best to ignore those who anger me with what I perceive as ignorant and hypocritical actions or remarks. I shall endure all things with love in my heart for my brothers and sisters who share this earth with me. It isn't necessary to comment on everything. It does no good to argue. I will try my best to be an example of love, kindness, and forgiveness.

I will be honest, but I will also try not to be offensive in my opinions. I will ignor those things that are blatantly stupid and hurtful to me just as I would ignore an annoying child. I won't give out the attention they want. It isn't worth the time spent being angry or annoyed. I love the child, but I don't love the behavior. I will speak up when needful. I've spent too many years hiding behind a quiet exterior, trying to avoid confrontation. I will not fall into silence again. But, I will try very hard to express myself in a loving and peaceful way.  I shall not promote dissension by participation.

I shall do my best to endure all things. I hope to be able to add to the good in this world in any way that is possible for me. I pray that in some way, as small as it may be, I can be a positive force to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment