Saturday, April 25, 2015

Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss

Probably my favorite movie of all time, Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss is a classic.

Wikipedea (the source of all things unverified) says, "Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss (1988) is a television comedy film written by Jean Shepherd and directed by Dick Bartlett, based on the 1968 short story by Shepherd. A satire of childhood recollections of annual family vacations, the film follows the Parker family (of A Christmas Story) as they travel to a Michigan lakeside camp, the eponymous Haven. It was a co-production of The Disney Channel and PBS, and aired in that order, and was released on video."

One reason that this movie is dear to my heart is that I first watched it with my hubby as we were dating back in 1993. He introduced it to me as one of his all time favorites and it has been one of mine ever since. I don't think a lot of people are familiar with this gem so I've made it my movie review for April. It's the perfect summer vacation adventure.

It's a wonderful family movie, full of laughs and situational (spell check says that's not a word but I'm leaving it) comedy that most of us can relate to. The author of the tale, Jean Shepherd, has a way of telling a yarn that tickles my funny bone every time. So if your looking for a fun summer family watch, and you haven't seen it, I recommend this one. My only reservation is that it's hard to find a good copy that's available. I don't think Disney has ever re-released it on DVD and the copies that are out there are poor at best, made from the VHS versions.

I see that you can watch it complete on Utube at the moment. It's not great quality but you get the idea. (click --  Ollie online )

No comments:

Post a Comment